Sunday, August 29, 2021

Salt Creek Falls and Crater Lake, Oregon (Day 2 and travel)

The next day we set out for a three-hour drive to Crater Lake National Park. Yet again, what a gorgeous drive!


On our way, we saw a sign for waterfalls and to my delight, we followed them to a place called Salt Creek Falls and it was GORGEOUS. I was thrilled to get to see it and take pictures, but a little bummed that the sunlight wasn't lighting up the waterfall itself because of the time of the day we visited.



The closer we got to Crater Lake National park, the more smoke we saw in the air from wildfires all around the Pacific Northwest. Sure enough, by the time we got to the park, we could hardly see across the water. The longer we were there, the thicker the smoke became until the whole lake and Wizard Island entirely disappeared.

Vidur and Rachel had packed a super thoughtful and cute picnic basket so we stopped and had a charcuterie board, Crumbl cookies and more while we watched the smoke swallow up the scenery.

On our way back, we decided (I was THRILLED) to stop again to see the falls and followed a trail down toward the base of the falls. It was beautiful and the time of the day was absolutely perfect to visit--what a gorgeous sunset!




The next morning, I got a quick tour of Rachel and Vidur's awesome new backyard where they had grapes growing.
It was my birthday, so we went to a really cute place for brunch and I had the most BEAUTIFUL pancakes I've ever seen! After that it was off to the airport for the long day of travel to go back two timezones to Texas.

Amazingly, my flight from Eugene flew over Crater Lake and I got an incredible view of the park from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment